RE: checking for a particular value in a matrix

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30961] RE: [mg30933] checking for a particular value in a matrix
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:55:11 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

This code will check that there is exactly one entry in a matrix of value 1.

ExactlyOneOne[(mat_)?MatrixQ] :=
  Count[mat, 1, Infinity] == 1

testmat1 = {{1, 0}, {2, 3}};
testmat2 = {{1, 0}, {2, 1}};
testmat3 = {{-1, 0}, {2, 3}};

ExactlyOneOne /@ {testmat1, testmat2, testmat3}
{True, False, False}

As for your second question, use a DelayedSet (:=). When you use Set (=)
Mathematica calculates the right hand side of the definition immediately -
even though the symbol a appears on the left hand side. This is a confusing
aspect of Mathematica definitions that trips up many users. I don't know why
Mathematica can't check to see if the symbol appears on the lhs. There is
probably some logic to it.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/