Re: Help! FindRoot output to list...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30981] Re: [mg30958] Help! FindRoot output to list...
  • From: Tomas Garza <tgarza01 at prodigy.net.mx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 04:19:00 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Since you already mention that the output is a list, you're close to the
solution. It is very important that you grasp what's going on. Example:

In[1]:=
r = FindRoot[x - 4 == 0, {x, 0}]
Out[1]=
{x -> 4.}
In[2]:=
FullForm[r]
Out[2]//FullForm=
List[Rule[x, 4.`]]

Here you see that the result is indeed a list *with only one element*. This
element you extract with

In[3]:=
r[[1]]
Out[3]=
x->4.

and then, the value you want is
In[4]:=
r[[1,2]]
Out[4]=
4.

But you may also use a ReplaceAll command to directly have the root
available:

In[5]:=
x/.r
Out[5]=