Test of a pure function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34010] Test of a pure function
  • From: "Shawn O'Connor" <soconnor at ccs.nrl.navy.mil>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 03:27:37 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

    I hope someone can help me with this I know the solution should be easy
but I am still learning how pure functions work.

I am trying to pick out a position in a list were a number falls i.e.

Position[xBins, _?(#1<=x <= #2 &)].  I keep getting errors Like these

Function::slotn: Slot number 2 in #1¾x¾#2& cannot be filled
from \
(#1¾x¾#2&)[List].

Function::slotn: Slot number 2 in
#1¾x¾#2& cannot be filled from \
(#1¾x¾#2&)[-1].

From
In[83]:=
Function::slotn: Slot number 2 in #1¾x¾#2& cannot be filled from
\
(#1¾x¾#2&)[-0.995].

General::stop: Further output of
Function::slotn will be suppressed during \
this calculation.

Can I make a comparison with the nth and nth+1 element in a pure function.
Thank you,