Function with variable number of arguments; default *inside* the function?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35798] Function with variable number of arguments; default *inside* the function?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 04:35:08 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Simple tests I've carried out seem to show that I'm able to generate a
simple function that will accept either one or two lists as arguments by
coding it in the form

    func[list1, list2_:defaultList} := Module[{ },   <<stuff>> ]

and then calculating the  defaultList  _inside_ the module.

Seems to work OK -- but am I setting myself up for any hidden gotcha's
by doing this?