Re: RE: Installing package "SpreadOption`"

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35824] Re: [mg35699] RE: [mg35673] Installing package "SpreadOption`"
  • From: Omega Consulting <omega_consulting at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 02:42:24 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

At 03:16 AM 7/26/2002, David Park wrote:

>Hello Matthias,
>
>I downloaded the SpreadOptions package and modified it so that it will work
>like a standard package. The package file is attached. (Other readers can
>modify the package as I describe below.)
>
>To use it, create a new Finance folder in ExtraPackages. Put the
>SpreadOption.m file there. Then you can simply load the package with:
>
>Needs["Finance`SpreadOption`"]
>
>All I did was change the name of the package in the BeginPackage statement
>to "Finance`SpreadOption". Anyone can do this by editing the package file.
>
>This, it seems to me, is the method that should be used for third party
>packages. If this method is used, the packages behave just like standard
>packages. However, probably because it is not clearly presented in the WRI
>documentation, very few people use the method. The result is a lot of
>confusion in connecting to packages. Also, it seems to me that packages
>should be in a standard place and the StandardPackages and ExtraPackges
>folders that WRI provides are those places.
>
>David Park
>djmp at earthlink.net
>http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

ExtraPackages is a fine place to put packages if your package consists
solely of *.m files.

However, in general I would recommend the Applications directory. The front
end has its own sets of paths (for finding palettes, stylesheets, and
documentation). With the default settings, the front end looks in the
Applications and Autoload directories, not the ExtraPackages directory.

Omega Consulting
"The final answer to your Mathematica needs"

Spend less time searching and more time finding.
http://www.wz.com/internet/Mathematica.html