Off Topic - Jacobian and Change of Variables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35859] Off Topic - Jacobian and Change of Variables
  • From: "Kevin J. McCann" <kjm@KevinMcCann>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 06:00:12 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

This problem has bothered me for years. In elementary calculus we change
integration variables. For 1d this is straightforward. For 2d we make use of
the cross product to determine transformed areas. For 3d we use the
dot-cross product to represent a "cube" of volume. So far so good. Now when
we have more than 3 we use the Jacobian determinant which is on "obvious"
extension to the 3d case. I have never seen a proof of the multidimensional
case. Can someone point me to a reference?

Thanks,

Kevin