dummy indicies

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35882] dummy indicies
  • From: Christopher Maierle <chris at chaos.Physik.uni-dortmund.de>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 06:01:54 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

This is a repost of a question I asked last week.  Apparently, I wasn't
clear about my problem.  I have written a function that is similar to
the Mathematica function Sum in that the user needs to use dummy indicies in order
to CALL the function.  That is, one enters,

mysum[f[i,j,k,...],{i,mini,maxi},{j,minj,maxj},{k,mink,maxk},...]

The function works the way I want it to except that I must be certain
that the dummy variables i, j, k, etc... are not already defined in the
Global context.  In other words, because I have not done anything special
in defining the function, Mathematica will substitute in any Global values that
exist for i, j, k, before using the arguments of mysum in a computation.

I would rather be able to use dummy indicies without making sure that they
are not already defined.  The Mathematica function Sum behaves this way.  How
do I write a function like that?  I figure this has something to do with
setting attributes for mysum but I haven't been able to work out all the
details.  Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance
-ciao

-chris