Re: Installing package "SpreadOption`"

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35891] Re: Installing package "SpreadOption`"
  • From: "John Jowett" <John.Jowett at cern.ch>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 05:59:09 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:aifm5c$q6a$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> Now, I would like to ask you how I can send a package, style sheets,
> palettes and documentation to a user. I am working in Windows 98 and have
> the WinZip program. As far as I understand (and I did ask the WinZip
people
> about it) it is not possible to include a file structure in a .zip file.
You
> can make self-extracting zip files (which I don't know how to do) but I
> understood that only people working under Windows can use them. So at
> present, in my major package, I tell people how to set up the file
structure
> in ExtraPackages. I put all the documentation files in one .zip file and
all

Hello,
        This is not my experience.   I can create an archive file with
WinZip  (Version 8.0) by right-clicking the original folder, say "myfolder"
, selecting WinZip/Add to myfolder.zip.   I can then recreate the internal
structure by opening the Zip file in WinZip, clicking the Extract button and
choosing a location to extract to.  As far as I can see this does not depend
on setting any special options of WinZip.  So the Omega Consulting recipe
works fine.

I think that the post by Omega Consulting is extremely helpful.  I like to
associate palettes with my packages and always had the problem of where to
put them.  My poor solution was to include code in the package to locate the
palette and open it as the palette was loaded.

The only problem I see with it is that the PalettePath option of the Front
End contains only a single underscore in

{$TopDirectory,AddOns,Applications,_,FrontEnd,Palettes}

which, I think, precludes finding palettes belonging to sub-packages loaded
with commands of the form

Needs["toppackagelevel`package`"]

but I suppose we can live with that.

John Jowett