RE: RE: RE: Installing package "SpreadOption`"

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35961] RE: [mg35826] RE: [mg35699] RE: [mg35673] Installing package "SpreadOption`"
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 05:18:10 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Perhaps the best approach right now would be to put packages that contain
palettes or style sheets in the Applications folder as Omega Consulting
recommends. Then if users would prefer to have the package moved to the
ExtraPackages folder, they can use the Options Inspector to add
ExtraPackages to the PalettesPath and the StyleSheetPath. This can be fairly
easily done as follows:

Open the Option Inspector and set it for global.
Go to Global Options\File Locations\PalettePath.
Click the button on the right edge to bring up the list of paths.
Select the one with $TopDirectory,"AddOns","Applications"...
Click Edit, Copy it, and click Cancel.
Click Add and paste in the copy. Change "Applications" to "ExtraPackages".
Click OK, OK. You now have paths to both folders.

Do the same for StyleSheetPath.

You then can put packages in either place.

It still would be nice if WRI included ExtraPackages on the PalettePath and
StyleSheetPath.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: David Park [mailto:djmp at earthlink.net]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

I consider the ExtraPackages folder to be preferable to the Applications
folder  because I consider a package to be a resource and not an
"application". I expect that my various applications can use that resource.
I don't really like my Applications folder, at the top level, being filled
up with packages.

If the Applications folder is the "blessed" location for packages, why have
the ExtraPackages folder at all? It would be very easy for WRI to fix it so
that Mathematica automatically looked for palettes and style sheets in
ExtraPackages, just as it now does in Applications. Then people could put
the package in either place according to their own preference. Maybe, in
some cases, a package would come with many application notebooks, and the
package might mainly be designed for use with those  notebooks. Then the
Applications folder might be the preferred place. In other cases the package
might be a general package for wide use. Then the ExtraPackages folder would
be more appropriate.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Omega Consulting [mailto:omega_consulting at yahoo.com]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

Perhaps. I don't see why the ExtraPackages folder is
preferable to the Applications folder.

Regardless, all indications are that Applications is

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
> [mailto:omega_consulting at yahoo.com]
>

> All of these are possible. Mathematica has a drop-in
> system as long as you
> understand the layout scheme (which is a bit
> complicated, but worth
> understanding). The trick is that each package gets
> its own directory.
> Avoiding the conflicts you describe above.
>
> All these properties are set by options, so let's
> look at an option:
>
> In[3]:=
> pp=PalettePath/.Options[$FrontEnd, PalettePath];
>
> Let's just look at one value, the others are
> similar.
>
> In[5]:=
> pp[[6]]
>
> Out[5]=

FrontEnd`FileName[{$TopDirectory,AddOns,Applications,_,FrontEnd,Palettes},