Out of memory

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35969] Out of memory
  • From: "Julio Vera" <jvera at adinet.com.uy>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 16:05:42 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear members,

For long calculations, sometimes a message appears, telling the program
is out of disk space. The kernel shuts down.

I searched the archives for the list, and found a number of postings on
this issue, but none of them solved my problem.

I have 1.7 G of free space in my internal hard disk, but also have 22 G
free in my Buslink USB external hard drive. I would like to use this
space for the calculations.

In Windows98 (control panel, system, performance, advanced, virtual
memory) there is an option to use this space, but it seems like its
either internal disk or external disk. I didn't dare to change it to
the external disk, because I received a scary message from W98 (you may
not be able to restart your computer).

If I change the settings, will I be able to restart the PC? Is there a
way to use both disks succesively? Is there a way to use the external
one, but without restarting the computer? Is it possible to do this
directly from Mathematica?

Thanks for your help.

Julio