Export Problem Mathematica 4.0.1.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36027] Export Problem Mathematica 4.0.1.0
  • From: mph1 <mph1 at humboldt.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 05:22:50 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The most recent entry in the archives for problems with Export are two years
old. It is difficult to believe that I am the first person to try to export a
figure in Adobe Illustrator format. What am I doing wrong?

I am running Mathematica 4.0.1.0 under OS 9.2 on a Mac but the problem is the
same on a PC.

The program

tmp = Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 2 Pi}];
Export["AIFormat.ai", tmp, "AI"]

runs without error and creates the file named. Adobe Illustrator 10 cannot
open the file.
What is worse is that the program

tmp = Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 2 Pi}];
Export["EpsFormat.eps", tmp, "EPS"]

creates a file that crashes my system when trying to open it within
Illustrator.