An interesting math problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36106] An interesting math problem
  • From: timreh719 at yahoo.com.tw (bryan)
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 05:52:19 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi All:
   I have a very interesting math problem:If I have a scales,and I
have 40 things that their mass range from 1~40 which each is a nature
number,and now I can only make 4 counterweights to measure out each
mass of those things.Question:What mass should the counterweights
be???
The answer is that 1,3,9,27   and I wnat to use mathematica to solve
this problem.
    In fact,I think that this physical problem has various
answer,ex.2,4,19,28
this way also work,because if I have a thing which weight 3 , and I
can measure out by comparing 2<3<4 . But,If I want to solve this math
problem:
{x|x=+-a+-b+-c+-d}={1,2,3,4,,,,,,40} where a,b,c,d is nature numbers.

How to solve it ??
Thank you very much in advance and hope mail to me your method and
mathematica solving method.  appreciate any idea sharing
                                                       sincerely
bryan