Re: Lists and tables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36105] Re: Lists and tables
  • From: Jerryphysicist at aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 05:52:17 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

       By using "data = ReadList["filename", Number, RecordLists -> True]" it
displays the numbers in one giant table...Unfortuantely, this will not work
for me, because I need each column from excel (representing node, X, Y, and Z
displacement positions--4 Columns Total and ranging between 1000 to 100,000
points) to be placed as a list of coordinates in mathematica (in curly
braces).  Then I will plot the 3 dimensional data {x,y,z}.  The next question
is how do I interpolate the plotted data to display a function representing
the plot/graph (in particular, the geometry of the surface under test is
cylindrical, so I would like for mathematica to spit out the harmonic bessel
function)...The coordinates once manipulated into the correct format {x,y,z}
in mathematica are in rectangular coordinates...Perhaps I first need to
convert the {x,y,z} list into cylindrical coordinates (any ideas???)...So
basically this is what I need to know:
                   1)   Get data from excel into a coordinate list {x,y,z}
                         e.g.   Node 1, {x1,y1,z1}
                                  Node 2, {x2,y2,z2}
                                  etc...

                   2)   Convert from Rectangular to Cylindrical (maybe)

                   3)   Plot3D the data

                   4)   Generate a harmonic bessel function for that
plot3D/graph

                   5)   Find the equation(s) that spits out these harmonic
bessel functions (which I think might be in the general form of Hankel
Function solutions to the Helmholtz equation which shows cylinder harmonics
of order "v")

I can figure out step 5 if I can get steps 1 through 4 figured out.  If
anyone can write a recipe for me to follow that would be great, or even some
tips and clues...Anything!!!

Jerry