Silly Mathematica button question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36139] Silly Mathematica button question
  • From: "Lawson English" <english7 at mindspring.com>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 00:25:12 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Normally I don't feel so stupid, but I'm trying to create an interactive
Mathematica notebook, and I'm stuck at square one.

Specifically, how do I do something like create a button to add a number (or
perform other mathematical functions) and then display or otherwise
manipulate the result (eventually I want to be able to click a button that
increments/decrements an angle and animate the resulting transformation of a
vector, with an eye to finally simulating a simple robotic arm complete with
simple controls to manipulate the arm).

I want to have a variable (or matrix or whatever) defined as a global
variable x, and then perform x = x+1 when a button is clicked. I've been
using and programming computers for almost 25 years and I can't follow
Wolfram's documentation. Is it just me, or is he always this obtuse when
explaining things? I mean, given the amazing power of the Mathematica
system, a sample list of buttons in a notebook that you could select and
examine how they were implemented, would have been nice. I can't find such a
list, and this seems to be par for the course for the rest of the
documentation as well.