How do I pick out the expression under a radical?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36225] How do I pick out the expression under a radical?
  • From: asb4 at psu.edu (Steve Beach)
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 02:07:36 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm a poor physicist trying to figure out how to sort out the
"physical" from the "non-physical" solutions to a problem.  To do
that, I need to be able to look at an expression and pick out a
subexpression, the part under the radical.

For example, say I've got the expression

a b x^2 + 5 x^3 + 5 Sqrt[4 - x^2]

I'd like to pick out "4 - x^2", which would then tell me that x is
between +/- 2.  I know there has got to be an easy way to do it, but I
can't find it.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve Beach
asb4 at psu.edu
http://www.thebeachfamily.org