ReadList and NumberPoint ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36224] ReadList and NumberPoint ?
  • From: sebastien maerten <sebastien.maerten at iota.u-psud.fr>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 02:07:35 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'd like to import data from a file. The file is a standard ASCII text
file which contains a matrix of numbers. Matrix columns are "tab"
separated, matrix rows are "EOL" seperated. Numbers use coma "," as a
decimal point specifier.

So the file looks like this:

1,234	1,567	1,89
2,234	2,567	2,89
3,234	3,567	3,89

I know how to do this using Import:

Import["MyFile.txt", "Table",
     	ConversionOptions -> {NumberPoint -> ","}] ;

However, Import is not the function I'd like to use, because it is realy
slow over large files.

I wonder if someone knows a way to use something faster than Import (I
namely think of ReadList) with coma-numbers?