Resizing Graphics

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36302] Resizing Graphics
  • From: au198295 at hotmail.com (Aaron)
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 01:19:30 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I was wondering if there is a method for resizing Raster graphics
(resizing the actual matrix of pixels, not just the display size).  I
am processing a large number of JPEG images, and we sometimes need to
reduce the image size to allow data processing algorithms to function
without running out of memory.  In the past we simply used a program
such as Photoshop to resize them before importing them into
Mathematica.  Due to the number of images we are processing now this
is very inconvenient and it would be very useful if there was a method
for accomplishing it in Mathematica, but I can't find one.  I also
thought about doing something simple like sampling every few pixels or
averaging, but I thought there might be a method with more efficacy
than this. I also tried exporting the graphics with the Export command
as new JPEGs and manipulating the ImageResolution and ImageSize
options but this seemed to have no effect.  Any help would be much
appreciated.
Thanks,
Aaron Urbas