copying cells in Mathematica 4.2--problem solved!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38102] copying cells in Mathematica 4.2--problem solved!
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 04:31:50 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am about to describe one of the strangest experiences with a software
"bug" that I have ever had. It now looks that, partly thanks to the
help of other members of this list, I have managed to solve this most
irritating problem. But the true cause of it remains still mysterious
and so does the response I got from WRI's technical support.

First of all, while waiting for response from the mathgroup, I decided
to sent a bug report to WRI's technical support. The answer came on the
next day. Moreover, it acknowledged this as a "known bug" and suggested
a way round it. The suggestion was to copy the notebook using "Copy As
Complete Notebook" menu item and then paste cells from the new
notebook. Unfortunately this solution proved imperfect. It is true that
it solved the visible markup problem but cells were still being merged
into a single cell and the only thing I could do about it was to break
them up again using the "Divide Cell" menu item, hardly a convenient
way to go about copying cells. I more or less gave up (particularly
once i received the first response form a mathgroup user confirming
that he also had the problem) and tried to persuade myself that using
Mathematica in Classic was not all that bad when I got a message from
Yas Tesiram stating that he was using 4.2 on Mac OS X 10.2 and did not
have the problem at all. At this point I was still pretty certain that
there was indeed a bug, and that it must have been fixed in a recent
release that Yas managed to get (I have to admit to suspecting WRI at
this point about deliberately keeping me in the dark about the
existence of a such a more recent release-- sorry about that). The
breakthrough came when I got a message from TOm Burton who told me that
he had this problem once but he cured it by deleting and re-installing
Mathematica. I immediately tried his approach but it did not work. But
now I was not prepared to give up. I created a new user, logged out as
myself and logged in again as the new user. Guess what, the problem was
gone. I started frantically possible culprits in my ~/Library and also
for any applications that were set to run on start up. I soon noticed a
possible culprit, a little freeware program called PTHPasteboard which
creates multiple-clipboards. I removed it and the problem was gone.
Everything seems to be fine again.

Now the biggest mystery: why did technical support so quickly
acknowledged a bug, which may not be one at all? Could this be
something to do with the frequency of complaints (eg.g on this list )
that they are too slow to acknowledge bugs and to often refuse to
accept them as such? Actually, now I begin to feel that there may be
perhaps something to be said for this attitude, and certainly it seesm
preferable to its opposite: too great a readiness to accept claims of
bugs which may after all not be that at all.

Andrzej Kozlowski
Yokohama, Japan
http://www.mimuw.edu.pl/~akoz/
http://platon.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp/andrzej/