UnitStep in Mathematica 4.1

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38180] UnitStep in Mathematica 4.1
  • From: pillsy at mac.com (Matt Pillsbury)
  • Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 03:26:04 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I have been relying on the UnitStep function in a project, and in
general it seems to work pretty nicely. However, there is one simple
problem that I'm having with it. Mathematica doesn't know that

Integrate[UnitStep[-x] UnitStep[x], {x,-1,1}]

should be zero. Is this because the integrand is 0 everywhere but at
the origin, where it is 1, and Mathematica doesn't know what to do
with the contribution from a set of measure zero? Or am I doing
something else wrong?

And is there a simple fix for my problem?

Thanks,
Matt Pillsbury