Re: Why can't Mathematica find this root?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38362] Re: Why can't Mathematica find this root?
  • From: "Konrad Den Ende" <konrad at voxway.com>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 04:08:58 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> No, you don't. There are infinitely many roots, of which Mathematica gives
> you only three: -Pi/2, 0, and Pi/2.

Actually, you get five different roots, not three. Nevertheless - point
taken.
I ment of course that i'd like Mathematica to give me ALL the roots on form:
angle + (period * n). I'll try to be more exact the next time.

> Didn't you notice Mathematica's comment that, since inverse functions were
> being used, some solutions might not be found? That's the explanation.

Yes, i did. I wonder why it's the ONLY method used by Mathematica. It feels
pretty bad to know that the program "misses" some simple roots. I don't
wonder
"what kind of algorithm gave that", rather "why do they use only that
algorithm".

I appologize if my question caused any trouble by it's "fuzziness".

--
Vänligen
Konrad