Re: portable issues with zip files

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38500] Re: portable issues with zip files
  • From: Bill Rowe <listuser at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 04:27:19 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 12/18/02 at 1:53 AM, ErsekTR at navair.navy.mil (Ersek, Ted R) wrote:

>David Park (djmp at earthlink.net) has Mathematica packages posted as zip
>files at  http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/Mathematica.html and he
>recommends that I use the same approach for packages I post on
>mathsource.  I have been able to download and install his packages on
>my PC without problem. However can Mac and Unix users handle the zip
>files?  If they can't, can I create the compressed files Mac and Unix
>users need using my PC?

There should be no problem whatever with zip files on a Mac. Although the defacto compression standard on a Mac isn't zip, there is a freeware utility (StuffIt Expander) that expands zip files appropriately. Additionally, Apple installs StuffIt Expander as part of the Internet suite of utilities installed with the OS and has been doing this for sometime now.

The only issue I've seen with zip files on a Mac is some Mac users are not aware of this format and do not have things set so that the decompression happens automatically.