MathGL3.1 beta

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38504] MathGL3.1 beta
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 04:27:37 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I happy to announce the public beta test for MathGL3d 3.1

Binaries for
Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and SGI can be found at

http://phong.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~kuska/mathgl3dv3/id3.htm

New features of this beta:

- hardware accelerated volume rendering with the new
  MVDensityPlot3d[] and MVListDensityPlot3D[] functions
- shaded volume rendering for nVidia cards on Windows and Linux
- reading and writing of compressed volume data. MathGL3d's
  lossless compression offer compression ratios between 2--10
  for CT scans and is the best known method for loss less volume
compression
- direct reading of compressed volume data with MVListDensityPlot3D[]
and
  MVListContourPlot3D[]
- combination of direct volume rendering with iso-surfaces and solid
  objects
- the mesh displacment method for iso-surfaces (MVContourPlot3D[],..)
- reading an writing PLY files for ply files look at
    http://www-graphics.stanford.edu/data/3Dscanrep/
- support for POVRay 3.5
- setting RenderMan shader via options
- an updated reference and MVManual.nb notebook that explain the new
  features in detail
- improved line and point rendering

If you find a bug you should send me information about

- your operting system/computer
- the Mathematica version
- the graphics card, preferable from the
  OpenGLInformation[] function

Suggestion and improvements are welcome.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all
math-group members

  Jens