How to animate?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38509] How to animate?
  • From: "Christopher R. Carlen" <crcarle at sandia.gov>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 04:27:55 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi:

I'm using 4.1.0 on Linux

I have been reading in section 1.9.12 about animating graphics.  I don't
seem to be able to get the example to work.

If I input:

Table[ Plot3D[ BesselJ[0, Sqrt[x^2 + y^2] + t],
        {x, -10, 10}, {y, -10, 10}, Axes -> False,
        PlotRange -> {-0.5, 1.0},
        DisplayFunction -> Identity ],
    {t, 0, 8} ] // Short

Then I input:

ShowAnimation[%]

Mathematica just outputs:

ShowAnimation[{\[SkeletonIndicator]SurfaceGraphics\[SkeletonIndicator], \
\[SkeletonIndicator]SurfaceGraphics\[SkeletonIndicator], \
\[SkeletonIndicator]SurfaceGraphics\[SkeletonIndicator], \
\[SkeletonIndicator]SurfaceGraphics\[SkeletonIndicator], \
\[SkeletonIndicator]SurfaceGraphics\[SkeletonIndicator], \
\[SkeletonIndicator]SurfaceGraphics\[SkeletonIndicator], \
\[SkeletonIndicator]SurfaceGraphics\[SkeletonIndicator], \
\[SkeletonIndicator]SurfaceGraphics\[SkeletonIndicator], \
\[SkeletonIndicator]SurfaceGraphics\[SkeletonIndicator]}]

(how do I get it to copy/paste what I see in the notebook, instead of
all the internal cell expression stuff?)

If I change the example to:

Table[ Plot3D[ BesselJ[0, Sqrt[x^2 + y^2] + t],
        {x, -10, 10}, {y, -10, 10}, Axes -> False,
        PlotRange -> {-0.5, 1.0} ],
    {t, 0, 8} ] // Short

Then I get 17 graphics rendered.  I can click the cell containing them,
then use Cell|Animate Selected Graphics, which then produces the animation.

I want to have a command that I can execute interactively or associated
with a button, to animate the graphics.  I don't want the graphics
displayed when I execute the command that generates the graphics.

What is the right way to do this?

Thanks.

--
Christopher R. Carlen