Wrestling with Mathematica on Trig Simplification
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg32212] Wrestling with Mathematica on Trig Simplification
- From: warwick at jps.net (Steven Warwick)
- Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 03:38:28 -0500 (EST)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
So, A typical scenario for me is the combining of sinusoids like: m[t_] = A Sin[t] + B Cos[t] ( A and B Real, although I don't know how to communicate this to Mathematica in an effective way) with the desired "simplified" output being of the form: C Cos[t+th] Trigreduce will not do this, as I've tried. Yes, C and th are more algebraically complicated, but the overall expression is actually more meaningful for me.. I can solve for C and th using Solve, with creating 2 simultaneous equations with t picked at 0, PI/2 to get the correct form, but that's not the same as having a "reduce" capability. Am I missing something? is there a way to create preference for this form in simplify? Thanks!