RE: Entering constant placeholders

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg32356] RE: [mg32328] Entering constant placeholders
  • From: "Florian Jaccard" <jaccardf at eicn.ch>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 03:30:09 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

You dont have to tell that a, b and c are constants. It is the case !

In[9]:=
D[a*x^3+b*x^2+c*x+d,x]

gives the correct answer.

If you want that a,b,c and d are functions of x, you have to write :

D[a[x]*x^3 + b[x]*x^2 + c[x]*x + d[x], x]

It may be that you have forgotten to put a space between a and x !
If you write "ax" , Mathematica doesn't know that you meen "a*x" !

Meilleures salutations

Florian Jaccard
EICN-HES