ReplaceAll doesn't replace

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg32550] ReplaceAll doesn't replace
  • From: "Ken Morgan" <kmorga51 at calvin.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 04:08:16 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I understand how the following will replace x with the list

#^2 & /@ (x /. x -> {a, b, c})

to generate

{a^2, b^2, c^2}

But, why isn't x replaced at the beginning of the evaluation in the
following

since it generates

{a, b, c}

What I really want to know is: What is it about the Function function that
doesn't allow ReplaceAll to "replace all" at the beginning of an evaluation?

Thanks,
Ken Morgan
kmorga51 at calvin.edu