Is it possible to access internal variables?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34705] Is it possible to access internal variables?
  • From: "Arny" <someone at somewhere.sometime>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 04:29:19 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear Newsgroup,

I am minimizing a function which only has real values between 1 and -1, most
of the time... occasionally its range is different and unknown, (but anyway
not far from 1 and -1).  I could write a routine using Check to catch errors
and then expand the range over which FindMinimum is allowed to search, but
since FindMinimum seems to be getting the appropriate values anyway - it
tells me the values in its error message -  I was wondering if there weren't
some way to get at those values and use them without bothering to write said
routine.  I was thinking of analysing 'MessageList' or '$MessageList', but
was thinking there might be some easier way.

Aren't variables within packages accessible via their long names, e.g.
`package`private`variablename or something like that?  Does anyone have any
suggestions?

Regards, and thanks again.

Bernard

--