Re: which Linux does Mathematica run on?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34849] Re: which Linux does Mathematica run on?
  • From: "Timothy C. Klein" <teece at silver_NO-UCE_klein.net>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 05:10:25 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Sat, 08 Jun 2002 03:49:37 -0600, Pavel Pokorny wrote:

>   Dear Mathematica friends
>
>    http://www.wolfram.com/products/mathematica/platforms/
> mentions
>     Linux 2.0 or later (ELF only)
> and
>    PowerPC Linux.
>
> Does it mean Mathematica 4.1 does NOT run on SuSE Linux?
>
> Or which versions of Linux does Mathematica 4.1 run on?

That means it will work on any Linux distribution that is recent.  ELF is
the type of executable encoding used, and ELF has been around for a
while.  RedHat 5.0 was ELF based, if I remember right, and that is pretty
old.  So any version of SUSE that is not 5 years old will work fine.  The
2.0 part is for the Linux kernel, and again SUSE will for certain have at
*least* that new a kernel.

In short, you will be fine.  WRI has done it the right way, as
Mathematica is pretty nuetral about the distro.

I am running it on Debian unstable, zero problems.

Tim

== Timothy Klein || teece at silver_NO-UCE_klein.net ==
== "Hello, World" 17 Errors, 31 Warnings...       ==