Re: Using Mathgroup Effectively -- cutting and pasting expressions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34873] Re: Using Mathgroup Effectively -- cutting and pasting expressions
  • From: Mike Yukish <may106 at psu.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 05:00:41 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Richard Palmer wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> Thanks for your reply.  I know it isn't your problem as the mail group
> moderator, but I am personally annoyed at the difficulty of copying and
> pasting sections of Mathematica code as text.  When I cut and paste from a notebook
> using an ASCII text editor (TEXTEDIT on the MAC)  the result comes out like
>
> Cell[BoxData[
>     \(InverseFourierTransform[\((\(\[ExponentialE]\^\(1\/2\ \[ImaginaryI]\
> t\ \
> \((2\ \[Mu] + \[ImaginaryI]\ t\ \[Sigma]\^2)\)\)\ \((1 + Erf[\(\[Mu] + \

<goobledygook snipped>

> This is absolutely worthless for communication.  To make matters worse, If I
> open up a Mathematica session and paste the expression above into the session,
> Mathematica throws an error.

Actually, I wish Mathematica had the ability to do a "Paste Clean" or a
"Write Clean" to the clipboard or a file. Where this really would help
is in the automatic generation of packages. A lot of the formatting
currently gets carried into the *.m files where it isn't needed, and
where it causes odd little niggling errors that cause me endless
grief.

So if someone happens to have a function that strips the pretty printing from
code, I'll beta test it. Maybe when things slow down here I'll write one.