some of the numbers in a list = a total

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34992] some of the numbers in a list = a total
  • From: bugman <bugman at optonline.net>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 02:48:34 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi
I've inherited a spreadsheet that has the number of hours billed for
certain enchantments.  Some of the enchantments are for mainframe
projects and some for desktop.  My predecessor (not available) came up
with a total of the mainframe projects.  I don't know how he arrived at
that exact number.  So what I have is a list of 100 or so numbers.  A
certain combination of those numbers equals my totals.  I am a complete
newbie to Mathematica. Tried it in Excel but ran out of Stack space.  Is
this the right tool?  If so, what function/equation would I use to do
this?  did I mention I'm new at this?

Thanks