MathLink and lists

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg33085] MathLink and lists
  • From: Adam Lyon <lyon at mail.lns.cornell.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 06:51:50 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I have a perhaps advanced MathLink question. Here's what I want to do:

I want to have an object in Mathematica that Mathematica thinks is a
list. But in reality, whenever Mathematica wants to get an element of
the list it calls a MathLink function that retrieves the value.

The idea here is to access a very large dataset (so large that I don't
want to have to *copy* it to a real Mathematica list) accessable from
Mathematica using all of the nice list functions (like ListPlot). I can
write a C program that can randomly access and iterate over the dataset
quickly, so it would seem to make sense for Mathematica to use my C
program instead of holding the large dataset in its own memory.

I've done extensive searching of mathematica web sites and newsgroups
and haven't seen anything about doing something like this. Anyone have
any ideas? Much thanks.

--- Adam

Adam Lyon / Univ. of Rochester Group at CLEO
Wilson Synchrotron Lab (Cornell University, Ithaca, NY)