Re: Plotting from a file

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg33141] Re: [mg33108] Plotting from a file
  • From: Timothy Stiles <tastiles at students.wisc.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 03:08:46 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I think your first problem is addressed in the following FAQ

http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/kernel/files/fortran.html

which describes how to set up Mathematica 4.0 to accept the exponential notation
with Import. I often use a completely different method namely

data = ReadList["datafile.dat", Number, RecordLists->True];

which is left over from the pre version 4.0 days which didn't have an Import[]
command.

To suppress output in Mathematica end a command with a semicolon (as in the above
command). This will keep Mathematica from printing the entire file.

Finally, to plot your data, you have to use Mathematica syntax not Matlab. To plot
a list, you need to use the ListPlot[] command (Plot[] plots function directly).
The argument of ListPlot[] can be in any of several forms, a single list will be
treated as y-values with x-values assumed to be the list {1, 2, 3, ..., n}. You
can specify the y and x-values by using a list of {x, y} pairs like ListPlot[{{x1,
y1}, {x2, y2}, ... {xn, yn}}].  Hope this helps.

Tim Stiles