RE: How to transform x axis on ListPlot?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg33172] RE: [mg33140] How to transform x axis on ListPlot?
  • From: David.Annetts at csiro.au
  • Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 01:56:04 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Rob,

> Greetings cypherists, I have another problem that I bring up
> only after a long time of putting up with no solution.  I
> have a list which I plot but the integer x axis of the plot
> is not scaled to suit me. Each position in the list results from some
> increment of a variable which I'd like to represent on the
> graph.  About all I've been able to do so far is to rig up
> the list so that each entry in the array/list being plotted
> represents some integer multiple of the actual variable so
> things don't get
> too confusing.  For example:
>
> x=Table[Sin[z],{z, 3.0, 0.01}];
> ListPlot[x]
>
> The plot looks nice but the x axis goes from 0 to 300 and I'd
> like it to go from say, 0 to 600 (MHz).  Surely this is
> easily done but I haven't found a single example of this in
> the books or in reviewing the posts on this ng.

The first problem is your list; x contains values of Sin[z] ranging from 3.0
to 0.01 in steps of 1 ie, your list contains nothing.

Assuming you want
x = Table[Sin[z], {z, 0, 3.0, .01}];,
you can control the range via PlotRange, an option to ListPlot.

For example,

ListPlot[x, PlotRange -> {{0, 600}, All}];
ListPlot[x, PlotRange -> {{0, 600}, {-1, 1}}];

> Options[ListPlot] doesn't help me either.

In[31]:=
Options[ListPlot]

Out[31]=
\!\({AspectRatio \[Rule] 1\/GoldenRatio, Axes \[Rule] False,
    AxesLabel \[Rule] None, AxesOrigin \[Rule] Automatic,
    AxesStyle \[Rule] Automatic, Background \[Rule] Automatic,
    ColorOutput \[Rule] Automatic, DefaultColor \[Rule] Automatic,
    Epilog \[Rule] {}, Frame \[Rule] True, FrameLabel \[Rule] None,
    FrameStyle \[Rule] Automatic, FrameTicks \[Rule] Automatic,
    GridLines \[Rule] None, ImageSize \[Rule] Automatic,
    PlotJoined \[Rule] True, PlotLabel \[Rule] None, PlotRange \[Rule] All,
    PlotRegion \[Rule] Automatic, PlotStyle \[Rule] Automatic,
    Prolog \[Rule] {}, RotateLabel \[Rule] True, Ticks \[Rule] Automatic,
    DefaultFont \[RuleDelayed] $DefaultFont,
    DisplayFunction \[RuleDelayed] $DisplayFunction,
    FormatType \[RuleDelayed] $FormatType,
    TextStyle \[RuleDelayed] $TextStyle}\)

PlotRange is right there between PlotLabel & PlotRegion ....

Regards,

Dave.
  Dr. David Annetts             EM Modelling Analyst
  Tel: (+612) 9490 5416         CSIRO DEM, North Ryde
  Fax: (+612) 9490 5467         David.Annetts at csiro.au
                 Include "usual_disclaimers"