Precision and rounding

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg33224] Precision and rounding
  • From: <bradamanteus at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 03:20:09 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

There must be a simple answer to this:

I'm producing a large output file that takes a long time to compute, and I
think this is partly becuase Mathematica always has my output as 14 decimal
places, and I don't need such accuracy. Is there a way to reduce calculation
time by reducing the precision of all calculations in my model. Rounding
with N doesn't work.

Also, I'm told that I can reduce the time of my program by looking at a
debugging tool that tells me how long the program spends on certain parts of
my code. What is this?

thanks

Leanne Ussher