Re: ODE solvers in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg33227] Re: ODE solvers in Mathematica
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 18:05:10 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

AFAIK NDSolve[] use a Adams-Bashford/Adams-Multon
predictor corrector method, if the system is
stiff it switchs to the classical Gear algorithm.
When the Method is set to Runge-Kutta it uses probably
the classicak Runge-Kutta formula.

I have an implementation of the most recent
enbedded Runge-Kutta Methods in:

http://phong.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~kuska/visualsupp/RungeKuttaNDSolve.m

including the Dormand/Price 5(4) method and the 8(7) method.
The most methods have a continuous output and can compute
Poincare sections. All methods are written for systems of
first order.

The RADAU code of Ernst Hairer is for algebo equations
and Mathematica can't solve mixed systems of differntial
and algebraic equations. You can use the symbolic power
to eliminate the  algebraic equations. I have a implentation
of Ernst Hairer's symmetric projection algorithm espcial
for symplectic integration

http://phong.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~kuska/visualsupp/ManifoldNDSolve.m

that is impressive robust and should work well for index 1 algebros.

Regards
  Jens