Re: What's going on here??

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg33520] Re: [mg33502] What's going on here??
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 03:44:54 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

This is certainly a bug. In your example c does not occur in the formula
that is being simplified so the problem looks innocuous but a small
modification makes it look more serious:

In[1]:=
Simplify[5(a+a b-a(1+b))*c==0,{c>5}]

Out[1]=
False

Without the assumption there is no problem. Also,  the following give
the correct result:

In[2]:=
Simplify[5(a+a b-a(1+b))*c>=0,{c>5}]

Out[2]=