Re: Import .doc ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34069] Re: [mg34056] Import .doc ?
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 08:00:44 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Indigo wrote:

> I would like to know if it is possible to actually import an word .doc
> file into Mathematica. I already tried to do it using the "import"
> command however the document did not appear to have been converted
> successfully into mathematica.

The Microsoft Word document format is proprietary, meaning that Microsoft
does not publish its specification.  There are several elements of the
format that do not have any meaningful representation in a notebook.

If you wish to bring the textual contents of a Word document into the
a notebook, you can do the following:

1) Save your original document as Rich Text Format (RTF) form Word.

2) Open the exported RTF file in the front end using the standard menu
command File -> Open.

RTF reading is a feature available only on the Windows front end.

--
P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.