Memory restoring form within Mathematica ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34073] Memory restoring form within Mathematica ?
  • From: Justus Heimann <Heimann at ism.tu-berlin.de>
  • Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 08:00:51 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I got a question concerning the memory handling in Mathematica 4.0
Windows.

Within an engineering optimization application I have to deal with very
big numerical matrices simultaneously in a Mathematica session. In order
to not overflow the already large physical memory (1.5 GB!) I arranged
to save and reload (when needed) some of these matrices from and to disk
during a session.

But I found that, e.g., the Mathematica functions Import/Export or
ReadListBinary/WriteBinary (binary.exe) alone use very much physical
memory, in addition to the memory consumption of the matrices itselves,
to do the job. And even though the memory consumption of the Mathematica
kernel, as indicated by MemoryInUse[], rather seems to be maintainable,
at the same time the physical memory used on the Windows system level,
as indicated by the Windows Task-Manager, is much higher or even
overfloating ?! What is the reason for this discrepancy and how to
overcome this ?

In order to clear the physical Windows memory I tried:
ClearAll[matrix1, matrix2, ...]; Unprotect[Out]; Clear[Out];
Protect[Out];
or
ClearAll[matrix1, matrix2, ...]; ClearInOut[];
of the CleanSlate Package. That way the memory used by the Mathematica
kernel is restored correspondigly, but, unfortunately, the memory
consumption at the Windows system level is unaffected ???!

So is their a way to successfully restore Mathematica memory and at the
same time the physical Windows memory from within a Mathematica session
without killing the session resp. the kernel ?

Many thanks
Justus Heimann