RE: Re: Dynamic referencing AND hyperlinking for numbered equations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34126] RE: [mg34029] Re: Dynamic referencing AND hyperlinking for numbered equations
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 04:29:24 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Bobby:

>Perhaps on the Macintosh there's some clue that it's a hyperlink.

No extra clue -- however, as you pass your mouse over it the CellTag
is displayed in the StatusBar and, to be consistent with the action
of other Mathematica palettes which display the aliases in the
StatusBar and act as a hyperlink when clicked-on, you would expect
this behaviour. (Macintosh users expect this consistency of
behaviour. In my experience, Unix and Windows users don't, in
general, though both OS are becoming more mac-like in this respect).

>On my machine it's the digit 0.  Exactly like that one.  No underlining, no
>coloring, no special font, no nothing.

But what about a palette? E.g., try the CompleteCharacters.nb
palette. There is no underlining, no coloring, no special font, no
nothing (well, it is a palette).

>Are you really going to click on it to see what happens?  Go ahead. Try it.

Well, why not? Isn't this a "reasonable" action? This is what
Macintosh users do expect.

>How could Macintosh users be constantly clicking on EVERYTHING in sight?

No -- they expect _consistency_ of action throughout an application and the OS.

>Even if I once knew that "0" was a hyperlink, I'd forget.

You don't forget with palettes though?

Cheers,
	Paul