RE: Some questions about plotting.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34168] RE: [mg34146] Some questions about plotting.
  • From: David.Annetts at csiro.au
  • Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 03:54:11 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Steve,

>     I have a modest-size matrix (up to about 31x31) whose
> values I want to look at using ListPlot3D. Results are good
> except for a few things:
>     1. It's important to have matrix element 1,1 appear at
> the upper left corner of the plot and the axes numbered
> accordingly, but this is not what the plot gives by default.
> I don't see a way to reverse the axis labeling. Is there one?

Yes.  You can do define whatever you want with ticks.  Search for Ticks in
the online help.

>     2. I note that this option doesn't work for ListPlot3D:
> FontFamily\[Rule]Helvetica,FontSize\[Rule]12 Is there
> a way to make the axis labels bigger? When you enlarge
> the plot by dragging the labels stay the same size.

You've specified that it be 12 pt, so why should it get larger when you
resize?  In any case,
PlotLabel -> StyleForm["Label", FontFamily -> "Helvetica", FontSize -> 12]
works just fine as an argument to ListPlot3D.

>     3. AxesLabel does not do anything useful, putting the
> labels together but not on the two axes. Can I get
> the axes labeled with for example "Row" and "Column"?

AxesLabel->{"X axis", "Y axis", ""}?

>     4. Is there a way to get two ListPlot3D's side by side?
> I want a stereo pair (same plot with different viewpoints).

gr1 = ListPlot3D[...];
gr2 = ListPlot3D[...];
Show[GraphicsArray[{gr1, gr2}]];

Regards,

Dave.
  Dr. David Annetts             EM Modelling Analyst
  Tel: (+612) 9490 5416         CSIRO DEM, North Ryde
  Fax: (+612) 9490 5467         David.Annetts at csiro.au
                 Include "usual_disclaimers"