Mathematica help with noncommutative operator manipulations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34205] Mathematica help with noncommutative operator manipulations
  • From: "Mark Pilloff" <mdp1 at uclink4.berkeleyREMOVETHIS.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 05:16:15 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I'm a novice Mathematica user and I'm working with a rather complicated
expression involving quantum mechanical operators.  The basic form is a sum
of terms, each of which is a product of from 2 to 5 noncommuting operators.
However, I want to expand each operator A into the form A = c + B where B is
another noncommuting operator but c is an ordinary number (a multiple of the
identity if you prefer).  The resulting expressions will have a lot of
terms, a few of which will combine after taking advantage of the commuting
nature of the c-numbers.

I'm looking for advice on how to set this up in Mathematica.  I know that
there's a noncommutative multiply operator ** built-in, but I couldn't get
this to do anything useful (for example, it wouldn't expand (a+b)**(c+d)
into 4 terms).  Plus I have to deal with some terms which do commute with
all others.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark