combining surface graphics objects

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34240] combining surface graphics objects
  • From: "Johannes Ludsteck" <johannes.ludsteck at wiwi.uni-regensburg.de>
  • Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 04:04:57 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear Mathgroup members,
I would like to combine two 'transparent' function plots.
Mathematica renders 'transparent' plots when the
option HiddenSurface->False is given, for example:

p1= Plot3D[x+y,
  {x,0,1},{y,0,1},
  HiddenSurface->False]

Now I want to combine it with a second plot:

p2= Plot3D[Sin[8 x y],
  {x,0,1},{y,0,1},
  HiddenSurface->False]

However, when I request

Show[p1,p2]

Mathematica has lost the HiddenSurface option and
plots both surfaces filled. And even
worse, it does not accept the option in Show.

Show[p1,p2,
HiddenSurface->False]

I tried some other solutions, for example using
SurfaceGraphics explicitly:
p1=SurfaceGraphics[Table[x+y],{x,0,1,0.1},{y,0,1,0.1}],
	HiddenSurface->False]

p2=SurfaceGraphics[...]

Show[p1,p2]
However, none of the were successful.

A more heroic goal would be to combine a transparent
with an non-transparent plot.

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much in advance,
	Johannes Ludsteck