Assigning to superscripted variables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34282] Assigning to superscripted variables
  • From: "Dave Snead" <dsnead6 at charter.net>
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 05:54:46 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I've been trying to assign values to superscripted variable, ex,
a^i = 5
but I get a message that Tag Power is protected.
I can
Unprotect[Power]
first and then it works fine.
However after a few more expressions, Power somehow gets reprotected!
Does anyone know what causes this?
How can I keep Power unprotected for the remainder of the session?

Thanks in advance,
Dave Snead