talk to arbitrary programs

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34325] talk to arbitrary programs
  • From: "Maarten Rosmeulen" <maarten_rosmeulen at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 03:35:13 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I've searched the mathgroup and mathsource archives for this question:

"Is there a way for mathematica to talk to arbitrary (not just mathlink
compatible) programs over TCP/IP sockets?"

This very same question was posted to mathgroup on 30 April 1999 by Daniel
Reeves. I contacted Daniel to ask him if there is an *easy* way to do this
under Ms Windows. Daniel advised me to use J/link, but that's still too
complicated to my taste. I did'n find anything relevant on google or
mathsource...

Let me show you what kind of thing I was thinking of. I tried this:

!"telnet machinename socketnumber"

and

Run["telnet machinename socketnumber"]

I managed to open a connection, but how do send or read data?

Maarten Rosmeulen