extracting variable values from built-in function FindMinimum

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34357] extracting variable values from built-in function FindMinimum
  • From: "Arny" <someone at somewhere.sometime>
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 05:08:46 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear Newsgroup,

I am minimizing a function which only has real values between 1 and -1, most
of the time... occasionally its range is different and unknown, (but anyway
not far from 1 and -1).  I could write a routine using Check to catch errors
and then expand the range over which FindMinimum is allowed to search, but
since FindMinimum seems to be getting the appropriate values anyway, it
tells me the values in its error message, I was wondering if there weren't
some way to get at those values and use them without bothering to write said
routine.  I was thinking of analysing 'MessageList' or '$MessageList', but
was thinking there might be some easier way.

Aren't variables within packages accessible via their long names, e.g.
`package`private`variablename or something like that?

Regards, and thanks alot.

Bernard

--
  Bernard Gress