Subscripts

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34408] Subscripts
  • From: "Steve Gray" <stevebg at adelphia.net>
  • Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 03:51:25 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

  There is perhaps some inconsistency in Mathematica's
handling of subscripts. On the one hand, as I
inquired about a few days ago, it will not accept
x(subscript 02) without converting it to
X(subscript 2) (without commas). This seems
inconsistent with the statement in Help about
Mathematica not interpreting subscripts or attributing
meaning to them. (Obviously assuming that
02=2 is an interpretation, as a numeric value.)
    On the other hand, it would be very helpful
if Mathematica could attribute meaning to them in a
manner where you could do things like define
x(subscript n) as say x+2n, etc. That would
make my notation better than having to say
x[n]=x+2n, etc., especially since using the
subscript as a variable is accepted in publication.
    Comments are very welcome.