Why can't I cut and paste between Mathematica and other applications?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34405] Why can't I cut and paste between Mathematica and other applications?
  • From: "Michael Math" <michael-math at science.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 03:51:14 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm running Mathematica 4.0 under Windows XP.

The Mathematica documentation clearly states that when you copy "The copied
text can then be inserted in another notebook or elsewhere in the same
notebook with the Paste command."

But how do I get it to paste into another application?  For example, suppose
that I would like to paste part of my session into an e-mail to send to this
list.  I have to either re-type everything and hope that I don't make a
mistake, or else I have to save (paste) it to a file, then go to open the
file in
notepad and copy it from there to paste into my mail program.  This is very
inconvenient, especially if I have lots of different lines in different
places.

Cut does not work either.  I can copy and cut and paste anywhere within
Mathematica, but nothing is being sent to the Windows clipboard.  The
"Paste" option in other Windows applications is greyed out, and the
clipboard editor shows the clipboard is empty.  I am trying to paste simple
text, no fancy graphics or fonts.

Am I missing something?

Michael