Help! How to calculate additive partitions?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34432] Help! How to calculate additive partitions?
  • From: "Thomas Brodhead" <Tom.Brodhead at worldnet.att.net>
  • Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 04:15:06 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Help!

I need to find a formula or method that will allow me to calculate the
additive partitions of a given number.

E.g., 3 can be expressed as

1+1+1
2+1
1+2
3

IMPORTANT: Even though 2+1 and 1+2 employ the same values, the order is
important and thus the procedure or formula that I need would need to
produce both of those results.

Likewise, 4 would break down this way:
1+1+1+1
2+1+1
1+2+1
1+1+2
2+2
3+1
1+3
4

I need to calculate both the number of results that I should get, and the
results themselves.

How can this be done?

Many thanks,
--Tom