Exponential forms and substitution

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34460] Exponential forms and substitution
  • From: "Steve Gray" <stevebg at adelphia.net>
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 02:46:30 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

    For various reasons I have complex exponentials written
both as (for example) (-1)^(2/5) and the equivalent
E^(I Pi/5). How do I convert both forms into the same
form of my choice?
    Also I have a variable, say g, defined as (-1)^(2/5) . In
the complex matrices I work with it is important for visual
reasons to have the symbol g itself appear when I need it,
instead of one of its numeric equivalents. Using the usual
substitution rules as I understand them does not seem to
work.
    Any tips will be greatly welcomed!