RE: generating random number

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34469] RE: [mg34448] generating random number
  • From: "DrBob" <majort at cox-internet.com>
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 03:32:08 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

For continuous distributions, compute

G[Random[]]

where G is the inverse cumulative density function.

If you know the inverse CDF analytically, this is as precise as you can
get.

If you are constructing the CDF from data or otherwise have a piecewise
approximation, define G using Interpolation on a table of the inverse
CDF.

If the distribution is discrete, G should be a sum of step functions,
but otherwise the same method works.

Bobby Treat